Friday, January 14, 2011

Live Migration Test

So this is out of order as I have a lot of posts to write to get caught up to the current state of our prodution environment .... but I thought it worth sharing since I'm just staring at a progress bar anyway.

In true gung ho form ... I'm testing live migration on a non-backed up production server.  I'm moving a backup domain controller from the original server to the new server (which has been attached to our storage array and preped for clustering). 

The test?  I've got a ping running to the server.  Funny thing?  As I was writing that my VPN connection dropped ...  Oh yeah ... That was the VPN host.  Oops...  well it popped back up 15 seconds later.  The ping test had a few dropped packets and a few more destination host unreachables then picked right back up.  I estimate about 15-20 total pause time for the server but it's a pretty inaccurate test.  Aside from that it worked pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, so after doing that I just absentmindedly started moving over 3 other production servers without current backups .... I think that means it's bedtime. I'll let them go ... the worst case scenario is I spend several days reconnecting antivirus clients to a server, rebuilding antivirus reports, and replenishing my (admittedly vast) ego

    ReplyDelete